Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Communications - what do we really rely on.....still

I realize that though we may personally be users of twitter, blogs, txt, facebook....etc., there's still a lot of folks that don't. In the midst of the flood situation in Nashville, I realized that the masses with whom I work still rely on email (more official I guess), or at best...txts and facebook. I'm not sure though that Twitter would have served any significant purpose here....except perhaps group announcements that our building was flooded, etc. So, now, I'm wondering....will these things ever "really" catch on as a useful tool to speak to many in a short message?

The point of having communication tools available for free is just that......communicate anywhere, anytime, to everyone for free.

Ok...I feel better now....almost.....while working from home is somewhat of a Godsend to me....I don't have to drive 120 miles everyday....I can sleep in and work later....I can fix a sandwhich anytime. But, I'm missing something. I feel a little out of the loop. So, human interface must be important to me. I am used to hearing the chitter chatter of a busy little office....here, I hear my dog snoring and my cat occasionally sashaying through with a quiet meow. Maybe there's a learning curve to this that I was unaware of.....for those of you that work from home..what's the secret? How do you not feel a little guilty? I have no problem with finding work to get done....but, somehow, I feel like I'm cheating. Sitting behind a nice desk.....the comforts of home....but, no Kaneal....no Trent....no Barry and Johnny.....no Grace and Debbie or even the occasional "Tim sighting". Oh well....thank goodness that I have a blog and 7 whole followers. Ha...I love all seven of you. However, I guess even Shakespeare started out small.

Thanks for listening today. I will try to have more prophetic statements in the days to come.

1 comment:

  1. So- I work from home and yes I feel lonely but mostly I feel lucky. I am actually more productive now at home than when I wasted the time making the commute and getting settled. My life is one big grey area between home and work but I don't mind that anymore. When the kids are sick- I don't need to leave sub plans or miss meetings, I might get less done but I still can get work done. When I start to get computer head or need a break- I might throw in a load of laundry or vacuum a little before sitting back down to work. This makes me feel even more productive. I remember when I first started I told myself I should do situps and push-ups when I needed a break from the screen but that never stuck! :) What keeps me from feeling guilty is that I make my to-do list each day and I try to stick to it and work whenever I can that day until the list is completed. So- my hours are unconventional but it gets done!

    ReplyDelete